We all know that there is always room for improvement.
In my case, I am at the beginning of a long road ahead. Although, I am no longer in a hurry to get to the end, this was not easy to accept.
As an aspiring writer, I wanted to publish my book Anticipation immediately after I wrote “The End”, metaphorically speaking. However, these past few months, I learned
a few things about – writing, editing, publishing, readers expectations and much more. Consequently, I decided to postpone the publishing date of my novel.
It was a bit disappointing at first, but I am over it now. Instead of dwelling about it, I thought of a plan to improve my writing skills without stress. I am not sure how long it will take, but like I said before, I am in no hurry. Besides, I also want to continue painting. It is my other passion.
In the meantime, for those of you that are in a similar situation, I would like to share a list of ideas and resources I will use to carry out this arduous task:
1. Participate in the monthly short story contests at LinkedIn Writers Group.
2. Do all the writing exercises printed at the end of every chapter in the book Writing Fiction.
3. I will take a creative online writing class. I found this website Diploma Guide offering a list of free courses, if you want to check it out. I also found this article listing 10 Universities offering free writing courses online.
4. Continue writing my Blog. It serves as practice, but most of all I love the connection it creates.
5. Last but not least, connect with Beta Readers, which I wrote about in my last post.
I hope this was helpful. Do you have a goal to improve your writing skills? Would love to read about it !